IP protection with a healthy dose of business insight
The pace of innovation in medical devices is accelerating as new technologies find their way into a vast range of products, from consumables and prosthetic devices to the most complex diagnostic and therapeutic systems. Understanding the many issues impacting success in this highly regulated industry is critical to protecting intellectual property.
Lando & Anastasi has the expertise to provide innovative IP protection solutions for medical products. Our diverse in-house expertise—ranging from chemistry and biochemistry to computer technologies and electro-mechanical systems—enables us to rapidly grasp the inventive aspects of even the most complex, integrated medical devices. We work as an interdisciplinary team to create a strategy that maximizes the business value of our clients’ distinctive IP assets.
We take a strategic approach, integrating IP with each client’s business, product, regulatory, financing, and competitive circumstances. The result is a tailored solution that reflects client priorities, anticipates future opportunities, and balances IP protection with budget realities.
Our broad capabilities and medical device experience enables L&A to:
- Work with early stage companies to create strategies that allow them to protect their critical IP assets, while facilitating the equally significant need to raise funds.
- Work with established organizations to manage their IP assets throughout the product lifecycle, from initial development through product launch and patent term extension.
- Advise clients on IP issues specific to the medical device industry, including methods of treatment patent claims and the relationship between FDA filings and patent applications.
- Analyze and prioritize core technology elements to craft patent filings that focus on the most valuable and protectable IP assets, maximizing budget efficiency.
- Counsel clients regarding IP licensing or partner agreements, helping optimize the balance between IP protection and freedom-to-operate assurance.
- Provide strategic trademark counseling, clearance, and portfolio management to protect valuable brands.
We can serve clients of all sizes in a range of medical device categories, including:
- Biomedical systems and devices
- Cardio-pulmonary support systems
- Diagnostic devices
- Dental devices and systems
- Drug delivery systems
- Implantable devices
- Monitoring systems
- Pharmaceutical test equipment
- Prosthetic devices
- Radiological devices
- Surgical instruments and methods
- Vision and eyecare-related technologies