As one of the founding partners of Lando & Anastasi, LLP, John counsels and represents clients of all sizes and technologies to help identify, protect and leverage their intellectual property rights. He has extensive experience strategically developing, securing and enforcing worldwide patent and trademark portfolios and licensing clients’ intellectual property and technology rights. John enjoys and is very good at serving as IP counsel for clients and engaging his network to enable clients to achieve their business goals. His clients include multinational corporations, mid-sized companies, early-stage and venture-backed companies, as well as entrepreneurs and investors. In addition to his active prosecution practice, John is able to assist his clients with their IP litigation needs.
John has been involved in numerous due diligence investigations, valuation of IP portfolios, patentability and freedom to operate studies and opinions, inter partes, ex parte reexamination proceedings and opposition proceedings. He has written and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications across a wide range of technologies, many of which have been successfully enforced and licensed. John also provides trademark, copyright and agreement counseling to maximize his clients’ intellectual property strategies.
John has worked with clients across a broad range of technologies, including optical devices and systems, wireless devices and systems, automated test equipment, imaging devices, semiconductor circuits and fabrication, analog circuits and systems, microwave and RF devices, systems and antennas, various consumer products, medical devices, and software. Some representative matters include:
- Assumed prosecution of patent portfolio of major consumer products manufacturer, counseled client on how to expand worldwide patent protection and simultaneously cut costs and implemented worldwide strategic plan.
- Assumed prosecution of patent portfolios for multiple small companies, based on recommendations of existing clients, that were languishing in the US Patent Office and quickly guided the clients and the prosecution to secure strategic patent protection, continues to represent these clients to further enhance and enforce their IP portfolio.
- Developed and secured patent position around pioneering technology, which led to client’s acquisition by the dominant company in the industry. The acquirer has since enforced this patent position in order to prevent competitors from providing competing products and encroaching on market share, as well as to secure multi-million-dollar damage awards for patent infringement.
- Developed and secured an individual inventor’s worldwide patent portfolio and exclusively licensed the portfolio to a major manufacturer, resulting in a seven-figure royalty stream to the inventor.
- Counseled a start-up medical device company in acquisition of university IP rights, defended numerous IP due diligence investigation by investors in order to obtain multiple rounds of venture funding, and developed and secured patent portfolio that led to the multiple rounds of financing.
- Developed IP portfolio for key product line of a Fortune 500 multinational company that led to a merger with a major competitor. Represents the merged company in developing, enforcing and licensing its worldwide patent portfolio.
- Successfully represented a client in numerous patent reexamination proceedings, including preparation and defense of multiple ex parte and inter partes reexaminations for key patents in licensing program.
Education and Prior Experience
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude; received commendations for achieving the highest grade in a number of courses
- University of Massachusetts – Amherst, M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, cum laude; concentration in Microwaves, RF and Radar Systems
- University of Massachusetts – Amherst, B.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, cum laude
- Senior Design Engineer at Raytheon for 5 years
- Design Engineer at Lockheed Sanders (now BAE) for 2 years
Admissions, Memberships, and Acknowledgements
- Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts, various federal courts and the U.S. Supreme Court
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI); served on organization committee for 41st worldwide congress
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property (2006, 2015 – 2017)
- Listed in 2016 edition of Whos’ Who Legal Life Sciences
- The Best Lawyers in America© Patent Law (2019)
- Presents to general industry, various clients and student groups on a wide variety of intellectual property topics