Ann focuses her practice on intellectual property litigation, trademark protection and enforcement, Internet and domain name disputes, and copyright law. She advises clients to create global strategies, considering the law as well as the company’s commercial platform. Ann has significant lead counsel litigation experience in state and federal court trademark cases, in addition to an Opposition and Cancellation practice before the TTAB and other tribunals including European Opposition practice. Ann is a registered patent attorney with experience in counseling, legal opinions, and prosecution in a variety of technologies, including firearms accessories, chemical compounds, industrial processes and apparatus, biotechnology, and toys.
Some of Ann’s representative matters include:
- In international trademark and patent litigation, negotiated a favorable settlement in which the accused infringer ceased importing infringing goods, ceased infringement, destroyed the offending articles and packaging, and made a favorable monetary payment to the client.
- Developed and implemented strategy for innovative software and services company in the field of location-based networking and analytics for international protection of their marks and securing registrations in the U.S. and abroad.
- Obtained favorable decision and damage award in Paris, France against our client’s competitor on the grounds of unfair competition and servile copying.
- Represented a small innovator in patent litigation against multiple large defendants and achieved favorable summary judgment rulings for the client on infringement and validity, as well as permanent injunctive relief.
- Successfully represented a well-known mobile app and software services company in enforcing its rights in trademark cancellation and opposition proceedings in the U.S. and abroad.
- Successfully defended UDRP proceedings brought against a Seychelles company involved in financial software and services.
Education and Prior Experience
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Indiana University, M.S., Medical Genetics
- DePauw University, B.A., Zoology, Premedical Science, cum laude
- Research assistant in the field of medical genetics and a staff member at the Medical Genetics Clinic affiliated with the Indiana University Medical Center
Admissions, Memberships, and Acknowledgements
- Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts, the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the District Courts of Massachusetts, Arizona and Colorado
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Member, American Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association, and Boston Bar Association
- Member, Boston Patent Law Association (BPLA)
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, a designation indicating that her peers rank her at the highest level
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Trademark Law (2020, 2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Patent Law (2021)
- Recognized by World Trademark Review as one of the world’s top trademark practitioners in its WTR 1000 listing (2017 – 2020)
- “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine (2018-2020)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation, Intellectual Property (2006 – 2020)
- Contributor to Allen’s Trademark Digest, a leading monthly review of TTAB decisions, and a member of the Editorial Board of The Trademark Reporter
- Well-published and a frequent speaker on a variety of trademark and unfair competition topics, including publications and presentations on the Madrid Protocol
- Licenses: SCCA Club Racing national competition license