Ann’s practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, trademark protection and enforcement, domain names, and copyright law. Her litigation experience includes serving as lead counsel in patent, copyright and trademark cases in state and federal courts, as well as Opposition and Cancellation practice before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) and other tribunals, and European Opposition practice. She also is expert in managing Internet and domain name disputes. Ann is a registered patent attorney with experience in counseling, legal opinions, and prosecution in a variety of technologies, including firearms accessories, chemical compounds, industrial processes and apparatus, biotechnology, and toys. Some representative matters include:
- Represented a small innovator in patent litigation against multiple large defendants and achieved favorable summary judgment rulings for the client on infringement and validity, as well as permanent injunctive relief.
- Successfully handled multiple Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy (UDRP) disputes for a domain name reseller.
- In international trademark and patent litigation, negotiated a favorable settlement in which the accused infringer ceased importing infringing goods, ceased infringement, destroyed the offending articles and packaging, and made a favorable monetary payment to the client.
Education and Prior Experience
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Indiana University, M.S., Medical Genetics
- DePauw University, B.A., Zoology, Premedical Science, cum laude
- Research assistant in the field of medical genetics and a staff member at the Medical Genetics Clinic affiliated with the Indiana University Medical Center
Admissions, Memberships, and Acknowledgements
- Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts, the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the District Courts of Massachusetts, Arizona and Colorado
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA) and The Trademark Reporter Committee
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Member, American Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association, and Boston Bar Association
- Member, Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Member, Boston Patent Law Association
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, a designation indicating that her peers rank her at the highest level
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Trademark Law (2020)
- Recognized by World Trademark Review as one of the world’s top trademark practitioners in its WTR 1000 listing (2017 – 2018)
- “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine (2018)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation, Intellectual Property (2006 – 2017)
- Selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Legal USA – Trademarks 2006
- Contributor to Allen’s Trademark Digest, a leading monthly review of TTAB decisions, and a member of the Editorial Board of The Trademark Reporter
- Well-published and a frequent speaker on a variety of trademark and unfair competition topics, including publications and presentations on the Madrid Protocol
- Licenses: BMW Club Racing competition license; SCCA Club Racing national competition license; NASA competition license