Nicole works with clients of all sizes to leverage their intellectual assets through strategic patent portfolio development and management. She prosecutes patent applications domestically and abroad in a wide range of technologies. Nicole also provides litigation support and has experience with trademark clearance and protection. Nicole handles intellectual property issues in a variety of industries, including those relating to chemical process control, water and waste treatment, energy and “green” technologies, specialty materials and coatings, molecular profiling, IT infrastructure, medical devices, and consumer products. She has led parallel reexamination and reissue proceedings, prepared non-infringement and freedom to operate opinions, and has effectively represented clients in appeal proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Some representative matters include:
- Represented an early stage start-up company through diligence proceedings, satisfying investor’s needs to secure substantial first round funding from multiple venture firms.
- Formulated an intellectual property strategy on key subject matter for a technology development company that became the object of a favorable and profitable licensing agreement shortly after filing.
- Filed a portfolio of patent applications on behalf of a small client directed to inventive products and services, leading to industry adoption of their advancements and deterring competitors from entering the market.
- Negotiated a license leading to the transfer of a blocking trademark to our client, avoiding costly opposition proceedings, expediting registration, and strengthening the client’s own trademark.
- Successfully pursued a UDRP proceeding on the basis of bad faith domain name registration and use, resulting in transfer of the offending domain to our client.
Education and Prior Experience
- University of New Hampshire School of Law (formerly, Franklin Pierce Law Center), J.D., magna cum laude, focused on Intellectual Property Law; served as Editor-in-Chief of IDEA: The Journal of Law and Technology
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, S.B., Chemical Engineering; Investigated drug delivery techniques in the Langer Lab at MIT and was active in the MIT Clinical Research Center
- Conducted surface modification research for biomedical devices at Genzyme Corporation and evaluated the pharmacokinetic profile of emerging drugs at Boehringer Ingelheim
- Participated in a well-funded biotechnology start-up company developing cell growth systems for use in various transplantation and immunotherapy applications
Admissions, Memberships, and Acknowledgements
- Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, Boston Patent Law Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Recognized by Boston Magazine as one of Massachusetts’ “Rising Stars” in the field of intellectual property law
- Committee Chair for the MIT Club of Boston