Peter is consistently recognized as one of the top IP practitioners in the country. Those interviewed for the annual IAM Patent 1000 have noted that “what he brings that is truly difference making is his interest in, and ability to understand, his clients’ business goals.” In difficult negotiations, for example, Peter arrives at “creative solutions that enable deals to move forward.” One client summed it up stating that Peter is “what a lot of lawyers want to be – not just a technician who drafts patent applications, but a big-picture thinker and talented portfolio developer who understands and knows how to address the issues companies face when expanding.”
Peter’s practice involves all areas of intellectual property and related transactions. He is routinely involved in due diligence investigations for acquisitions and divestitures of IP portfolios, involving new businesses to companies valued at more than $1 billion, and he has been the primary negotiator or lead counsel in dozens of licensing and related business transactions. He frequently prepares patentability and freedom-to-operate opinions, and has prosecuted a significant number of patents that have been successfully enforced in court and/or licensed. In addition, Peter has provided creative trademark counsel resulting in unique registration and enforcement strategies.
Peter has particular experience in the chemical process industries, water and wastewater treatment technologies, medical devices, polymers, small particles, specialty metals and ceramics, and mechanical and industrial designs. He is one of the country’s leading intellectual property attorneys on “clean” and “green” technologies. This experience has made him a sought-after counsel by investors in these technologies, both nationally and internationally. Some representative matters include:
- Represented Siemens Water Technologies in patent and technology license negotiation with one of the world’s largest oil companies involving wastewater reuse technology in a deal valued at >$500 million.
- Represented a start-up software and component business licensor in deal with large, multinational company in global oil and gas well servicing and drilling operation.
- Developed an IP portfolio in water and wastewater technologies that has been valued at over $1.5 billion.
- Counseled start-up businesses in acquisition of university IP rights in drilling and energy, and resource recovery technologies and defended IP due diligence by investor counsels.
- Prepared and negotiated a business acquisition agreement with developer of chemical feed control system for treatment of water and waste water.
- Developed and implemented worldwide IP management and enforcement strategy for medical device business.
Peter is active in the IP community, speaking to general industry, client and student groups on a wide variety of intellectual property topics. He has presented to the Licensing Executives Society (LES), on IP due diligence; the Association of Corporate Patent Counsel (ACPC) on notice and declaratory judgment jurisdiction; International Trademark Association (INTA) on trademark practice issues; Advanced Licensing Institute on joint development and collaborative intellectual property transactions; and to corporate R&D groups on IP management and strategy.
Education and Prior Experience
- University of New Hampshire School of Law, J.D.
- Rutgers University, M.B.A., Management
- Drexel University, B.S., Chemical Engineering
- BASF Chemical Corporation, process engineering, business strategic planning, marketing, research, and product development
Admissions, Memberships, and Acknowledgements
- Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts and in various federal courts
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Past-President of the Boston Patent Law Association
- Chair of Dean’s Advisory Board; Board of Trustees Member (Chair, Development Committee; Member, Executive Committee); Member, Franklin Pierce Center for Intellectual Property Advisory Council, and Former Adjunct Professor Patent Law at The University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Inaugural Member of the Dean’s Advisory Council for Engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Industry Advisory Board Member of the Rutgers University School of Engineering
- Advisory Council Member of the Drexel University College of Engineering, and Recipient of the 2006 College of Engineering Alumni Circle of Distinction Award
- Member, Licensing Executives Society; Co-Chair, Boston Chapter
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Founding Member, Boston IP Inn of Court
- Board Member (Chair, Governance Committee and Member of Executive Committee) and Clerk of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, a designation indicating that his peers rank him at the highest level
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property (2004 – 2019)
- IAM 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2012 – 2020)
- IAM250: The World’s Leading Patent & Technology Licensing Lawyers.
- “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine (2013 – 2020)